I am sure this solution is posted somewhere on the Internet, but as I have not found it yet and instead went exploring on my own, I thought I would post it here.
Status 0x000014c seems to point to a multitude of errors, so, this fix is only for the one detailed below – it may work for others, I’m just not saying it will.
Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the Problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and click “Next.”
3. Click “Repair your computer.”
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.
The fix below is very simple, and only takes a couple of minutes to complete:
1. Boot your machine into WinPE.
2. Type: cd c:\Windows\system32\config
3. Type: ren SYSTEM SYSTEM.BACKUP
4. Type: copy regback\SYSTEM SYSTEM
5. Reboot your machine and it should boot normally.
If your feeling particularly brave, then you could omit step 3, and have the original file overwritten – personally I like the security of being able to go backwards and undo this change if it doesn’t work.